Get answers to frequently asked questions

Colorado’s new state-facilitated retirement savings program was created to help the nearly 940,000 workers in Colorado without access to employer-sponsored retirement plans. We understand you’ll have questions. Here are the answers to some frequently asked questions. If you have additional questions, we’re here to help.

How do I set up my Colorado SecureSavings account online after I’m enrolled?

If you choose to participate, set up your account here and follow the on-screen instructions. If you need help, just give us a call at 1-844-711-5001, Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. MT.

Is there another way to set up my account or opt out?

Yes. Just give us a call at 1-844-711-5001, Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. MT.

What happens to my account if I move out of state?

Your Colorado SecureSavings account belongs to you. If you continue to work for an employer that facilitates Colorado SecureSavings, you can continue to participate and continue payroll contributions. If a new employer doesn’t facilitate the program, you can make contributions directly from your bank account. You can also roll over or transfer your savings from your account to an IRA at another investment provider, if that IRA accepts rollovers or transfers.

What happens to my account if I change employers?

Your Colorado SecureSavings account belongs to you. Your money remains in your retirement savings account under your control. If your new employer facilitates the program, Colorado SecureSavings will notify you and payroll contributions will begin at your new job. You can also opt out at any time. If your new employer offers a qualified, employer-sponsored retirement plan, that employer is not required to facilitate the program. However, you can contribute directly to your account through your bank account or by check, via a paper mail-in form.

What happens if I opt out?

You can opt out at any time. If you opt out within the 30-day period after the program notifies you about being enrolled, no payroll deductions will be made from your paycheck, and your account will not be activated. If you choose to stop participating after contributions have begun, payroll deductions will end. You can leave the money in your account for your retirement savings. You can also transfer your money or roll it into another IRA. You may also request a withdrawal, which may be subject to penalties and state and federal taxes. And if you change your mind, you can always opt in again at any time by notifying Colorado SecureSavings.